Monday, May 18, 2020

I Read: The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

I don't even know where to start with this one. I can not say enough about it. I know it's acclaimed, and it's been talked about for several years already - long enough that there's already been a follow-up released, which is next on my TBR list.

This was amazing. Heartbreaking and lovely and powerful and scary. And wonderful. It's no wonder it was acclaimed. I haven't yet seen the movie, but I'm afraid to because the book left me with so much.




Thomas has an amazing voice, and writes her characters as if they are standing right in front of you. With only a few descriptors they are fully formed people, and that is what guides the book. You see the multiple layers and sides that every person has and the struggles and decisions that each has to make.

This isn't set in a world that I know personally, but I could feel it, and identify it from my own. I could understand the viewpoints in the book and know that it's not outside reality. This happens. And it happens far too much.

I can't even describe it anymore - I don't have the right words. But I know that I will carry this book with me for a long time. I'm so glad that I decided to read it. And that I decided to read it now.
Five stars.

#37-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment