Tuesday, May 5, 2020

I Read: 13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

I've had this sitting on my TBR (to-be-read) shelf for several years. I follow the author on Twitter, and thought that I should probably read something she'd written, but I just never got around to it.

Finally, I picked it up and read it in about 36 hours. It's remarkably cute, and not really what I expected at all. But her character is actually very realistic in my view, and goes on a crazy adventure at the behest of her aunt. Her favourite aunt.  And really, her favourite person.

There are a number of references to interesting places, with stories that make the locations relevant to the story. Either Johnson has a very wide array of interests and knowledge that just randomly sticks in her head, or she did a bunch of research for this book. It's well thought out and easy to follow along with.

I quite loved it, and was disappointed when it was done.  Luckily, it has a sequel, which I started right after finishing this one. That will be the next review, so we'll see if I'm still as happy with that one.

Four stars. Because I never give out five.

#31-2020


No comments:

Post a Comment