Friday, May 1, 2020

I Read: Always and Forever, Lara Jean

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
(Third in the To All the Boys trilogy)

A trilogy that ends with a fairy tale ending. Or as close as a realistic ending can come. I did really enjoy this series, the characters and the turmoil that they mostly created for themselves.

I found myself looking back to a time that was easier, and harder, and mostly I don't enjoy looking back on so very much. But I related to Lara Jean in a lot of ways, and I think that's why I disliked a lot of the things that she did. She's a realistically flawed character. I could see myself and friends in so many of the situations.



I didn't know what I expected in the ending, but I wasn't confident that it would be a happy ending. And it really was. Nothing is guaranteed, but it was realistic, and it felt good. The story was well-written, and left me wanting to know how things would turn out in the longer term. Which would probably ruin the magic of the ending. Just like with life, we're left with all the hopefulness that comes at the end of high school, where anything can happen and there's seemingly nothing to stand in your way.

Five stars on the entire series because I love a happy ending, four stars for the third book of the trilogy because nothing is perfect.

#29-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment