Monday, August 30, 2021

I Read: Troublemaker

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini

I've been meaning to read this for a while, but it just never made it to the top of the pile. So when I started re-watching King of Queens I figured it was the right time. 

I'd watched the A&E series about Scientology with Leah Remini and Mike Rinder and found myself more and more intrigued by the hold this "church" has on its "parishioners."  Having read the book, and watched the series, I'm not going to say anything other than it is amazing. And not in a good way. 

Leah Remini might be one of my favourite celeb sit-com folks. I don't really know how to classify her.  She's funny, but she's not really a comedian. But that doesn't really matter.  I like how she just seems to be who she is, and through the book, it's clear that even she didn't really know how Scientology fit for her. She didn't follow a lot of the policies right from the beginning, and she still felt like she was losing a lot when she left. 

It's a great story to read if you're at all interested in the kinds of things that happen in those buildings. It's scary and intriguing and mind-boggling all at the same time. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with any of it personally. I'm not sure I would have made it out in one piece. 

#75-2021


No comments:

Post a Comment