Sunday, August 29, 2021

I Read: The Paris Library

The Paris Library

The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles

I don't really know what made me pick this up - I'm not generally particularly interested in historical, or war-based books. I'm also not usually into the current popular thing. This book is both. 

Having read it, I can now understand why it's a currently popular title. The book is good. I like the way it's written, to ground us into the not-quite modern-day Montana while also making us feel what it was like during the second world war in Paris - two time periods that don't seem to jibe at first glance, but Charles makes it work and work well. 

The parallels of the two time periods and the cross-over between them make this dramatic and poignant. There are lessons learned between both lead characters and they can only be taught through their interaction. There are touching and traumatic moments for both and while they may be on completely different levels, they match in the ways that count. 

I'm so glad I read this. 

#74-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment