Friday, August 13, 2021

I Read: Her Heart for a Compass

Her Heart for a CompassHer Heart for a Compass by Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York 

A historical fiction/romance novel written by an actual Duchess? Yes, please. 

I was super excited to read this when I got it because I had read that its inspiration came from Fergie's own family history. For me, that makes it so much more authentic.  And that she's actually a part of the world that she's written about, be it a century or more later, adds something to it as well. 

This book feels very much like a Bronte- or Austen-style novel, but in fairly current English, which makes it much easier to read. The main character's reactions to situations feel authentic to the novel's time period, but don't seem out of place if it was modernized. Margaret is a very engaging character, and you feel for her from the very first paragraphs. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion because of reasons that would spoil the book if I listed them. But it's a good ending, and I was happy that the characters ended up where they did. The story flows easily, which makes it an easy book to read despite its over 500-page count. 

I hope that Sarah Ferguson has more inspiration coming to her in this fashion. Margaret deserves a sequel. 

#69-2021


No comments:

Post a Comment