Sunday, August 1, 2021

I Read: Open Book

Open Book
Open Book  by Jessica Simpson

I've never really been a fan of Jessica Simpson - I admit to buying her first couple of albums because there were super catchy songs on them - but I always felt there was something unlikeable about her. She seemed vapid, or vacuous but it wasn't really the case. It was lack of experience and a generally sheltered upbringing that made her seem "dumb." 

It made me think about a lot of people who live a particular persona and that gets repeated in the media, and even within their fans. That means that we're probably underestimating a lot of people. It also expands the point that everyone has a back story, and generally, we don't know what that is. Everyone's life is not as simple as we may perceive it to be. People are not black and white because their life story doesn't allow them to be. 

I read this for two reasons: 1) because a fellow reader suggested it, and 2) because of a recent obsession with John Mayer. I knew going in that Jessica and John had dated, so I assumed there'd be a mention of him in the book, given that it's her autobiography.  But I had no idea how much he would play in her story. 

I'm a little ashamed that I read her biography because of her connection to someone else. And someone who treated her pretty badly from her account. I wasn't even surprised by the way she described him. It fits with other things I've heard in the past. Jessica deserved better. But that's really the story, in a nutshell. There are a lot of people who took advantage of her naivete and lack of world knowledge, and there's also her father who tried to keep her that way. (If I were here, I'm not sure I would have continued my working relationship with him after he had a temper tantrum at my wedding. But he's her daddy.)

I'm really glad I read it - I've realized that I need to give Jessica more credit for becoming who she is. I know everything is firmly from her perspective, but really, that's what life is about - telling our own stories. And Jessica had stories to tell. She doesn't fail to share the blame when it's due, but she's also not willing to take all the fault herself - though it's what she would have done in the past.  She writes as if she's your best friend, trying to share her experiences so that you can avoid the same pain she's felt. It's a good book, and I definitely respect her more now than before I read the book. 

#67-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment