Tuesday, April 27, 2021

I Read: The Princess Diarist

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

The Princess Diarist

The world lost a great mind when we lost Carrie Fisher a few years ago. She was witty and self-effacing, and far smarter than she gave herself credit for. She wrote a number of books; this one happens to be an account of her first experiences being Princess Leia, making Star Wars and reflections on more recent situations that sprouted from that past. 

I watched Fisher's special called "Wishful Drinking" based on her book of the same name, and hurriedly picked up as many of her books as I could find. This was the first one I picked up to actually read. It's the penultimate book that she wrote while covering almost the oldest content. 

It was fun to hear her tales of the early days of Star Wars, interwoven with the fandom that it's become.  And her perspective of being in the midst of that fandom through no fault of her own. She respects the fans and their passion, while not really understanding how she's become such an idol within it. It's an interesting take on celebrity. 

I enjoy the personal way that Carrie writes (and yes, Carrie, because that's how she writes) - almost as if she's telling you the stories herself in person. Sharing what she knows with a group of friends. I wish I had read her books sooner. I would have appreciated her more. 

#44-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment