Tuesday, April 13, 2021

I Read: Otis Spofford

Otis Spofford
Otis Spofford by Beverly Cleary

This one pulls in characters we've seen before - Ellen Tebbits - and Otis played a minor character in the book based on Ellen. These ones feel very much like they could just be a highlight on any grade school during that time period.  There's always the kid who thinks he's smarter than everybody else, who does things behind the teacher's back, or things that he might regret instantly but is too cool to admit it. 

It's an amusing story, but I really related more to everyone else in the class. I remember the kids like Otis when I was in school.  It never occurred to me then that they might have their own backstory or even reasons why they were the way they were. As an adult, it's nice to revisit these moments and remember that everyone has a story. 

#38-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment