Saturday, January 2, 2021

I Read: Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

I decided to start the year off with a reminder of how to keep myself tidy and organized. I read Kondo's "the Life-changing magic..." several years ago and had intended to immediately follow it up with this one, but I'm glad I put it off. 

As I read, I remembered things from the original book and ways that I could incorporate her suggestions into my life and my style. I'm not a KonMari convert by any means, but she does make a number of great points, and having the refresher with this "illustrated" guide was just what I needed to make a few changes. 

I'm not going to tell anyone that they should read this book, or any other organizing and tidying books because no one system works for everyone. And not everyone even cares about doing it. But I'm interested, and when I'm motivated I want to make changes right then.  Reading books like this can sometimes jumpstart that motivation by making suggestions for ways that I can easily change my habits. If it makes sense logically, I'm going to be willing to try it out. 

In this case, this was just the jumpstart I needed to reorganize 2 closets and a buffet, with one more closet in the cue. So far, I have 3 bags, and one box of items that I have thanked for their service and am ready to send them on to their next journey. 

I don't find the KonMari method completely realistic, but there are definitely opportunities presented within it for incorporation into my life. And I'm open to taking those and working with them to find whatever system works best for me. 


#1-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment