Sunday, January 10, 2021

I Read: Heart of the Matter

Heart of the MatterHeart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

I don't really know what to say about this one. I've read Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed,  and Something Blue and picked this one up when it was on sale somewhere because I knew I enjoyed her light style of writing, even when she was writing about heavy and realistic situations. 

I enjoyed this book, but I'm also stuck on the thought that had one thing been different here - and I feel like it's a pretty logical thing - this entire book would have been a non-starter. I don't want to give away the plot in any way, so I won't share my thought but if this was a real-life situation, I definitely know what advice I would have given Tessa in the first few chapters. And it would probably have stopped the entire situation from becoming a situation. 

The thing that really bothers me about a lot of romance/"chick-lit" style novels is that in so many cases the main character, the protagonist, the person we're supposed to be relating to is just incredibly illogical. I know that in real life people often only see what they want to see, but sometimes I get so hung up on these moments in the books that it just ruins everything for me. 

Maybe I'm too logical (likely.) Maybe I'm overthinking (entirely possible.) But I just wish that one of these books could be written where I actually don't think the main character is ridiculous at some point in the story. Make the characters talk to each other, ask questions, don't just have them assume things and make life-changing decisions based on the knowledge that they don't actually have. That's all I'm asking. 


#9-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment