Wednesday, January 27, 2021

I Read: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand

I'm not quite sure what I expected from this book. I read about all of the events contained within it as they happened. Maybe I expected some hidden shocking secrets from within the palace or that there was something extremely horrible that happened to Meghan on the Palace's behalf. 

None of that is illuminated here. It's still the story of a couple who fell in love, and had trouble with the media (extreme trouble) and didn't find a way to fit themselves into the Royal system. Nothing in the book makes me feel any more sympathetic to Harry and Meghan. Nor does it make me feel any less. 

They found themselves in a situation they didn't like, and they took steps to change it. Would I have perhaps done differently in their shoes? Given the information, probably. But I'm also not someone who finds herself pushing for change in every situation. I'm non-confrontational. I would have been torn apart by the media but I likely would never have put myself in the situation to begin with. So it's definitely not a fair statement to say I'd do anything differently. I'm not Meghan. Or Harry. They did what they felt they had to. Maybe it wasn't the best way, but they did it. And they're likely happier for it. 

I wish them the best. Hopefully, as distance develops between the past few years, things will change for everyone involved. IT would be a shame for the Royal family's influence not to include the perspective of these two. I think they definitely have contributions to make. 

#14-2021


No comments:

Post a Comment