Thursday, December 24, 2020

I Read: The Smell of Other People's Houses

The Smell of Other People's HousesThe Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock

I enjoyed this book - I wasn't sure it would be one that would go in that category. The title intrigued me, which is why I choose to read it in the first place. The story is definitely intriguing, following the lives of several teens in Alaska at the time of the territory becoming a state. The stories of those teens mingle together in interesting ways and teach a number of lessons while doing so. 

The subject matter isn't really pleasant, but it is real and wanting to know how the stories are completed is what keeps the reader interested. 

I'm finding that my habit of picking books by their title, and not actually reading the included synopsis on the back is introducing me to authors and stories that I probably otherwise wouldn't be reading. I'm not sure, had I read the synopsis that I would have picked this up but it was definitely something that I'm glad I read. It's not very long, and the way that it's broken up makes it an easy read, despite some heavy subject matter. There are also moments that break up the heaviness, but there is definitely drama throughout. 

I believe this was the author's first novel, and she has ties to the Alaskan communities that she's writing about. That shows in the way that she's written, there's a sense of history and feeling in the writing that otherwise wouldn't exist. It's a worthwhile read for anyone who's interested in people and for those of us who haven't lived in similar communities it's an interesting way to earn some perspective on situations different from our own. 

#88-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment