Monday, December 28, 2020

I Read: Always Looking Up

Always Looking Up
Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist
 by Michael J. Fox

I've always been a Michael J. Fox fan, from the days of Family Ties. I remember staying up "late" at the time in order to be able to watch the episode each week. I followed his career after and managed to always catch up on bits of it. But I've gotten very behind on his books. 

Years ago, I read Lucky Man and thoroughly enjoyed the way that his writing comes across as if he's having a conversation with the reader - this book is no different. It's almost as if you can hear his voice. 

Despite his references to his less than tall-ness, Fox has always been someone to look up to, and especially since his Parkinson's diagnosis he has been someone to look at as a role model. If he can manage to remain optimistic, then why can't we all?

This book follows the time period after his "retirement" from acting, leaving Spin City, and the startup of the Fox Foundation. It's not a chronological story, but it's a collection of stories that tell us a great amount about his life during that time. I still have another book to catch up on before I get to the most recently released version. I look forward to the anecdotes and wit that I'm sure will reside in both of those stories, and for the inspiration that can be found in his words. 

#89 - 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment