Tuesday, December 29, 2020

I Read: a collection of children's books

Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children by Bryan Mellonie
Grandma's Yarn by Lynne Pickavance
The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl
I Don't Mind Being Short by Slavica Popadic
When Will I read? by Miriam Cohen
Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
Little Ones Listen to God

I had a pile of picture type books on my shelf that I finally took a moment to zoom through, with the end of the year on us. I should have done it months ago. No cover photos for these, since there are a bunch of them, but there are things to say for a few of them.  All of them came from my mother's collection of books that we've gone through to find out which to keep or transition into new homes. These represent a small collection of what I couldn't bear to part with. 


Obviously, the Roald Dahl ones are satisfying as per normal - Revolting Rhymes is a retelling of several Fairy Tales, and the Giraffe, the Pelly and Me is an illustrated version of what I have in the Roald Dahl box set. The illustrations are as fantastic as the story. 

Lifetimes is a beautiful book that I wish I had had when I was young. It's touching and lovely and should be mandatory reading for all parents with their children because one day all children (or adults) will have to deal with the idea of death. 

Little Ones Listen to God is a seriously abridged version of the most well-known Bible stories. I remember it very well from when I was young, with it's bright, colourful pictures, and one page stories. It's remarkably well done and these versions of the stories do have a way of sticking with you long after you've read them. 

#91/92/93/94/95/96/97 - 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment