Sunday, December 6, 2020

I Read: Real Murders

Real Murders
Real Murders
 by Charlaine Harris
(Book 1 in the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries)

I'd watched a number of the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries from Hallmark channel before I realized that there were books. Then to learn that the books are written by Charlaine Harris of True Blood fame was a bonus. I already enjoy her writing, and the Teagarden movies are enjoyable so I've started hunting for the novels. 

This is the first in the series, and as such is the introduction to Aurora Teagarden and her little town.  And her club that studies famous murders. I won't deny that when I'm reading I picture Candance Cameron Bure because of having seen the movies first, but the books don't disappoint. There is a lot more to Aurora and her town than portrayed in a 90-minute movie. The situations she finds herself in are almost ridiculous, but because everything about the story is riding on that edge of unreal it all makes sense. 

The books are perfect for Hallmark mysteries - the murders aren't pleasant, but there's minimal description, which means they're not graphic at all. I've recently learned the term "cozy mystery" and I would say these fit that description perfectly. It's a "regular" person who happens to end up in the role of solving a mystery that could be a murder. There's very limited violence and mostly just regular incidents that happen to lead to solving the crime. 

I enjoy the character of Aurora Teagarden, partly because her day job is librarian, and she's a stereotypical mild-mannered southern "girl." She's a joy to read, so I'm planning to work my way through the rest of the series as I find them. They've been in print for enough time that it's a bit of a challenge. 


#83-2020


No comments:

Post a Comment