Saturday, December 19, 2020

I Read: Finding Audrey

Finding Audrey
Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

This was surprisingly poignant, considering it's written by the same author as the Shopaholic series. I wasn't expecting that. I enjoy the casual nature of Kinsella's writing here, even though she's writing about some serious stuff. And I like that it's relatable, even if we haven't all gone through anything similar. 

The character of Audrey is well developed, and I think that very much helps us to understand how and why she's in the situation she's in. And how she can get out of it. Some of the moments could have been stronger had there been a little more focus on them, and though we get a picture of what she went through, I felt a little bit like I would have been more sympathetic with some more detail. But the vague-ness fits perfectly with the character and the story. 

Anyone who's gone to high school, and felt the odd-ball, or been bullied can relate to this. This is extreme but it's definitely relatable by many people. Especially in the digital/social media age. Audrey's coping mechanisms are interesting, and the fact that it's someone relatively new to her story that manages to help her along the journey is a neat twist. 

I almost wish I had read this much sooner. I can appreciate it from my perspective now, but it has worthwhile lessons for people of any age. 


#87-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment