Sunday, November 1, 2020

I Write: Mysteries & Thrillers (NaNoWriMo & continuing education)

It is of course November 1, and that means NaNoWriMo starts today.  Coincidentally and very fortunately, I am also taking another continuing education course in pursuit of my Creative Writing certificate titled Mysteries & Thrillers. 

Mysteries and Thrillers have never been a genre that I thought I was interested in writing about, but only one week in I have all of these ideas bustling around in my head and I'm very, very excited about it. I'm including my first assignment below as it also pertains to my NaNoWriMo project because really, if I have ideas for class, and it's Nov. 1 why shouldn't I use the ideas for both things!?  Right?  RIGHT?!?

So as I complete assignments for class I'll hopefully share bits and pieces here, but for the most part, I'm hoping to continue the threads that I've started weaving together in my NaNo project. It's a longer, more extensive version than I'll need for my class - the final assignment is a 1,000-word short story which is much, much shorter than NaNo - but I'm excited to take a piece of what I work on for NaNo and create that short story. Or to take the Short Story and expand it to make it work for NaNo.  

Either way, I'm excited about writing and it's been a while. 

Our first-week assignment was to write a killer opening - not in the sense that there was a killer in the opening, but an opening that was really killer/successful/engaging. I may have decided to be a little too brief at first as I only included three sentences, which I thought had some major impact, but I'm going to share the longer version here. (I'll denote what the original piece was though.)  

She awoke groggy, every muscle in her body screaming. Reflexively she clenched her fist. Her skin felt tight, as if it was not her skin. Each small movement pulled. Blinking rapidly, she cleared the haze from her eyes. The room was dank, dark. Gingerly, she tried to move, sitting up from the musty cot she'd been laying on. She disentangled her legs from the skirt of her wedding gown, setting her bare feet on the cold floor. She didn't have the energy to gasp as she noted the dark stains on her dress.


If there's anyone reading this out there, let me know if you have thoughts. Would you want to keep reading this story?  Does it engage you as a reader? Would you pick up a book that started this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment