Sunday, November 1, 2020

I Read: High Heat

High Heat by Richard Castle

High Heat by Richard Castle
(part of the Nikki Heat series - based from the ABC series Castle)

This will be short - I'm still missing the show Castle, and I'm still trying to finish the series of books that went along with it. It's been far too long that these books have been sitting on my shelf, and as I read them I remember how they weren't quite as satisfying as watching the show, even if I can imagine the actors from the show playing the characters in the book that they're supposedly based on. 

The story behind this book is good - I enjoy the angle, but like all the Richard Castle novels, I feel like the writing is somewhat lacking. That could be because Castle was supposed to be a pulpy, super popular writer, or it could just be the invisible writer behind the fictional character's style. I choose to think it's a choice by the invisible writer to make the writing not as good. I haven't picked up the invisible author's actual work, and I don't intend to. I want to imagine that he's actually better than Richard Castle. 

I do enjoy the subtle nods to the show and the current (at the time) pop culture that are thrown into the books. I think that's what keeps me reading them. It's a neat twist to hear them talk about a fictional but real in that world item that happens, or a presidential race with an overly fictionalized account of a real candidate. 

I think I've said this previously, but if you liked the show Castle, and you like to read, then these are worth the time. Otherwise - there are far better mysteries or cop procedural style novels out there. 

 
#72-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment