Saturday, November 28, 2020

I Read: Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies

Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And other questions about dead bodies.
Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
by Caitlin Doughty

I literally picked this book up because I thought the title was funny. I didn't even really pay attention to what the content was going to be. I only knew that it was in the non-fiction section. 

As I started paying more attention, I had a few misgivings - did I actually want to read this book? Am I too close to a significant death in my life to be able to read this and take anything interesting or fun out of it?

The answer was no. I found it entirely interesting, and there were a couple of touchy subjects or topics that brought up questions I'd rather not reflect on to answer honestly, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the way that Doughty writes about this somewhat taboo topic. 

The column that this book spawned from was originally intended for kids to learn about death. To answer their burning questions. But really everyone can use a dose of reality when it comes to how we deal with death. Some of the questions really are burning questions - things we never think to ask about. Like, will my cat eat my eyeballs?

I was pleased to find that Caitlin Doughty has several other books that feature similar topics - I'm looking forward to reading those. 

#79-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment