Sunday, April 12, 2020

I read: Reflections & Dreams

Reflections and Dreams by Nora Roberts

This 2 in 1 collection contains the previously Harlequin published Reflections and Dance of Dreams.  Both original novels share characters, and this particular pair is sometimes referred to as Davidov #1 & 2.

I'm not going to review these in-depth - I only read them because they're fluffy and easy to read. They don't require a lot of thought, which is nice sometimes.

I will review enough to say that I always find romance novels have the same kind of main female character - the kind who is supposedly self-sufficient and independent but is really just longing to find someone to love them. This combination tends to lead to a character who jumps to conclusions thinking she's being strong and looking after herself but is really because she's not paying attention to what's going on. They're books that are meant to play on your emotions, and that means that the characters are full of emotions that can seem over the top and are quick to lead them in very random directions.

I wonder sometimes if we couldn't write a character who is actually independent and self-sufficient, who isn't led strictly by her emotions, but I know that a character like that would be far too real and would, therefore, seem boring. \Who would want to read that? It would be someone being logical - that's not particularly entertaining.

Anyway, these are Roberts early works and I know the writing has improved over the years, though the basic story remains the same - at least in this genre. It's what sells, and who can fault an author for taking advantage of a skill that they possess. I enjoyed the books, and I'll probably continue to enjoy them for exactly their purpose - light, fun, entertaining reading.  Four stars.

#21-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment