Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I read: Amelia Bedelia Boxed set

Amelia Bedelia Boxed Set by Harry Parrish
Contains:
Amelia Bedelia Means Business
Amelia Bedelia Unleashed
Amelia Bedelia Road Trip!
Amelia Bedelia Goes Wild!
Amelia Bedelia Shapes Up
Amelia Bedelia Cleans Up
Amelia Bedelia Sets Sail
Amelia Bedelia Dances Off

I picked up this boxed set because it was inexpensive and I remember reading Amelia Bedelia stories as a kid. I didn't realize at first that this set is written after my childhood by the son of the original author, Peggy Parrish, but the books are still written in the same style.


A style that is extremely annoying to read as an adult, I won't hesitate to admit. But as a child, I remember being endless amused by Amelia's inability to understand comparisons and cliche statements. There's always a guide in the back of the books to explain these interesting turns of phrase, but I don't ever remember not understanding that Amelia was just silly.

The books are still entertaining at their core, and I fully admit that were I still six or seven years old I probably would have been giggling all the way through.

No star rating for this one. I just read it for nostalgia's sake; I'm definitely not in the prime audience anymore.

#15/16/17/18/19/22/23/24-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment