Sunday, February 7, 2021

I Read: The Skin We're In

The Skin We're InThe Skin We're In by Desmond Cole

This book made me very uncomfortable. Not in a bad way, but in a way that makes me rethink things about the place I live. 

I was taught that Canada was a mosaic of cultures - that we are an accepting nation, a multicultural nation. And while we may be that, nowhere in that teaching did I ever learn about how unequal we are. As an adult, I should have been paying more attention but honestly, I'm white and the inequality likely benefits me. I dislike having to admit that, but it's harder to deny it once I see it.


My fallback position is to read these stories, these truths, about the country I call home and say that I'm not in a position of power so there's nothing I can do. That's not entirely true. I can be more observant, I can show my outrage. I can acknowledge the inequity. And I can make sure that I don't assist in it. I might not be able to create big change but I don't have to accept the status quo.

It makes me want to step up, to take some kind of action. To find a way to create a better system. But I'm not powerful, I have no public power or strength or pull. I do not know where to even begin to start. But it makes me more aware, and I guess that's the smallest start. 

Anyone who thinks Canada is devoid of the very public racism issues south of the border needs to read this. Anyone who wants to expand their perspective of what Canada is should read this. And anyone who is socially conscious or wants to be more so should read this. 

#19-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment