Thursday, February 4, 2021

I Read: Legacy

LegacyLegacy by Waubgeshig Rice

I picked this up because I was researching Canadian indigenous authors and found the review/synopsis intriguing. I couldn't find it available in any store for purchase (it was published in 2014 and somehow is completely out of print?) so I ventured to actually use the local library. (Not the first time, but pretty darn close.  Who borrows books when they have years' worth in their house that they haven't read?)

I'm not disappointed to have read this book. It wasn't what I was expecting from the synopsis I saw, but it kept my attention throughout. I wanted to know where it was going. And I wanted to find out more about these characters

The organization of the book is interesting, giving us different character perspectives through the course of the novel, and over different periods of time. It's not a traditional chapter format, which is particularly suited to this writing style. 

The characters made me feel for them and for their circumstances and situations and made me want them to be better. For me, at its core it's a story about family - blood-related and culture-wise - and how the stories intertwine and affect each other through their lifetimes. How no one's life is independent of those around them. An important note to remember that everything really is related to everything else in life. Nothing and no one is entirely independent. 

#17-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment