Tuesday, February 16, 2021

I Read: The Color Purple

The Color PurpleThe Color Purple by Alice Walker

This one has been sitting on my shelf for a while waiting for me to read it. I'm not sure what took me so long because, despite the content, it's not a difficult book to read. The content is unpleasant in a lot of spots, but the story is great and written in a unique way that asks a lot of the questions the reader might have. 

I was coming into it completely blind - I haven't even seen the movie because *sigh* Oprah - so I didn't have any expectations except that I did expect it to be a long haul. And it definitely wasn't that. 

Written in a series of "letters", and in a vernacular of the time and culture, Walker took advantage of the reader's senses, and probably stereotypes in order to create a scene that told the story as well as the words on the page. I'm disappointed that I hadn't read this sooner, and I may have to go in search of the movie at this point.

#22-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment