Sunday, March 15, 2020

I read: Chain of Gold

Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare 
(Book 1: The Last Hours)

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this book, which was delayed and delayed and then released the week before I was expecting.  So I was doubly upset to get a head cold that made me unable to read it as quickly as I would have liked.  I just wanted to sleep.

But I am excited to have finished it, and it was worth the wait and then the delay because I very, very much enjoyed the adventure and am waiting for the next book in the series, whenever that might be.

I do really love the world that Cassandra Clare has created here. I've heard horror stories of plagiarism and copyright infringement, but I don't really care. I just enjoy the stories. And the characters are the thing here. I've said it before, and I'm sure I will say it again - an author can hide a multitude of plot sins within a truly real, and believable character.  Someone you feel actual emotions for. When they seem like real people, I'll believe they would go through anything. Because that's how real people react.

This particular series is taking us back in time to between The Mortal Instruments series and The Infernal Devices series. We're in the time of the generation following Will, Tessa and Jem, so it's comforting to find characters that we already know making appearances.  It's also interesting to follow up the stories with a little research to find out who became of the connections forged within this novel and the rest to follow.

I admire the skill involved in creating a world quite as robust as this one, especially having taken the Sci-Fi/Fantasy World Building class recently. I know there are occasional plot holes, and things that don't quite make sense, but I'm still invested in what happens because of the characters and the emotional connections that a reader creates when there are so many ties to other works.

I'm left with only one thought though at the end of this particular novel and it is likely a spoiler so I will leave that line on its own and you can stop reading right now if you don't want to know.  **--** TAKE OFF THE DAMN BRACELET, JAMES! **--**

Anyway, I'm giving this 5 stars because I can't very well give it any less and still be stupidly excited to know when the next one may be released.

#10-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment