Sunday, March 1, 2020

I read: The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square

The Big Little Wedding in Carlton Square by Michele Gorman as Lilly Bartlett
(Carlton Square Book 1)


I picked up this book from the 3 for $10 table at Chapters/Indigo a couple of months ago. There were three books by the same author and I thought, well then, that's fate.  Apparently, the three books are also a series. So I took them along on the cruise because they looked as though they'd be quick, fun and quirky to read. Which this one definitely proved to be.


The main character's reactions and personality remind me a lot of the Shopaholic series of books, which I feel may not be entirely unintended. She over-reacts and makes illogical leaps in judgement, but still manages to be relatable at least somewhat. The story itself is something a lot of people can relate to - holding a wedding that looks posh but doing so on a strict budget. And only managing with the help of many, many friends.

The fiancee/husband is a bit of a douche, to put it bluntly, and I'm not exactly sure why she's in love with him, but I'll suspend belief there because there are a lot of people who's relationships don't make sense to me even in the real world. There are at least a dozen great, fun characters in this book that keep it interesting through the story. And you really feel as though some of them could be your neighbours or friends.

I am actually looking forward to reading the other two books that belong to the Carlton Square series, because it was such a nice, simple way to read something. Giving this one 3.5 stars.

#08-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment