Monday, June 6, 2022

I Read: A Rip Through Time (#38-2022)

A Rip Through Time

A Rip Through Time by Kelley Armstrong

(A Rip Through Time, book 1)

A Homicide detective from Canada, who is visiting Edinburgh to be with her dying grandmother, is somehow transported in time to 1869.  She has to figure out how she got there, who she even is, and hopefully, how to get home. 


A brand new book series from my favourite author.  How could I possibly have anything bad to say?  It's a bit different, and from what I've seen even Armstrong wasn't sure about how it would be perceived because it is a departure (and a bit of a passion project.)   But considering that my draw to her writing is all about the characters she creates, I wasn't going to have a problem with it.  Genre isn't important, as long as she fleshes out the characters and the story consistently. 

I enjoy the way she writes about Mallory as she tries to fit into being Catriona, and as she goes about life in an era without any of her modern habits and routines. How she has to make multiple decisions about how much to share about her situation, and with whom. 

I'll admit, I was a little bit disappointed at the end that Mallory didn't get to go home. But I love that this is a series where we'll get to see some more modern crime-solving in a definitely not modern world. 

(#38-2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment