Wednesday, January 15, 2020

I read: The Rise of Magicks

The Rise of Magicks by Nora Roberts
(Book three in "Chronicles of The One" trilogy)


I was anxiously waiting for this book to finish out this series. It's not what I would call stereotypical Nora Roberts, because it's not terrifically romance-y, but she still has a great knack for developing characters, even the secondary ones to where you feel emotionally invested in all of them.


We left the second book at a fairly critical point so finding out what happens next was pretty crucial.  Going into the series, from book one to two I wasn't sure I was going to feel that way as the first book left me a little disappointed. But the conclusion has finished things out in a way that makes all the sloggy reading worth it.

I'm glad I've completed the series, as the ending was very satisfying. Though I knew it would be. I was concerned as I neared the end - with only 20 pages left, the main object, the thing the main character had been talking about the entire book, still hadn't occurred yet. I honestly hate when that happens, as I began to wonder if I was misled and there was actually another book to come in the series. So the final scene felt maybe a little rushed, and as if it really wasn't as important as it had been written to be up to that point. But overall, I was satisfied with the end and with how things came to their (mostly) logical conclusion.

I'm still slightly at a loss at where Roberts has taken this series. She really was a master at creating the romance trilogy and while she created a fantastic trilogy here, and there was a small amount of romance involved, it stepped resolutely away from her traditional formula. That's not a bad thing, but for a reader who had gotten used to the consistency, it takes a beat to catch up to the change.

In the end, I give this particular book a 4-star rating, because I feel like there were details that could have been expanded on that would have improved the reader experience. I'm looking forward to Roberts' next creation.

#01-2020

1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment