Monday, January 27, 2020

I read: Hex Life

Hex Life: Wicked New Tales of Witchery by Christopher Golden, Rachel Autumn Deering, Kelley Armstrong, Theodora Goss, Rachel Caine, Sherrilyn Kenyon +

Another great anthology, including of course, Kelley Armstrong. This particular collection centres around witches, which is a new theme as most of the collections I've read so far have tended toward other supernatural elements. It was really interesting to see how many different ways to describe and personify witches there are.


I was a little less thrilled with this grouping than I've been with some of the past anthologies I've read. There were a couple of stories that I just did not enjoy and found myself racing to get to the end just to move to the next story. I won't name them, as I'm sure it could have just been the mindset I had at that moment. If I were to re-read the stories at a different time, I may feel differently. Overall though this is a great collection, with a lot of different perspectives and foundations of witch life.

It's an interesting study to put together a number of authors who all write on the same basic theme, but do it differently. They're all successful at it, but to see the differing perspectives they take on that theme is incredibly interesting to me. The different ways a witch can be portrayed varying between good and evil and even to the far, far extremes. There is no constant beyond the use of magic, in whichever form that takes (and there are varied forms of that as well.)

It's a good collection for anyone interested in reading about witches. I'm only giving it three stars because I didn't like some of the stories and felt some could have been better served in other forms. Others may serve to direct me to the authors to read more of their work.

#03-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment