Wednesday, October 23, 2019

I read: The Isis Trilogy

The Isis Trilogy
The Isis Trilogy by Monica Hughes 
(includes Keeper of the Isis Light, The Guardian of Isis and The
Isis Pedlar
)

I read these books when I was in grade 7 or 8.  I recall finding them immensely interesting because I think they were the first things I read that were in the sci-fi genre.  Set in the future, but about humans as if they're now, these are an interesting study of people.




This time around, I found Keeper of the Isis Light much more interesting than the other two - maybe because it was the basis for this series.  The character of Olwen was more engaging to me than Jody, or David in Guardian or Pedlar, respectively.  Because I became attached to the character of Olwen in the first novel, I may have been disappointed by her lack in the following two stories.


The writing is engaging, and the characters are definitely written in a way that you feel the people that should be behind them.  It's really a good series to start the foray into sci-fi, and was definitely a good place for me to start.  I remember having been recommended to read these by someone at school.  Potentially because I spent a large part of my time reading things that weren't quite appropriate for my age because I'd read so much of what would have been deemed appropriate.



Hughes has a number of other novels as well, but unfortunately passed in 2003, so there isn't anything more contemporary.  Having lived significant of her life in Canada, she wrote a number of adventure novels based in Canadian history.  Her writing style kept my attention as a young teen and again as an adult.




4 stars for the series - it might have been 5 if I hadn't found the second book a little slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment