Sunday, October 6, 2019

I read: The End and Other Beginnings

The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future by Veronica Roth

This was a lovely collection of short stories or novellas.  The six stories were a collection of different characters, some of whom we'd met before in other of Roth's work and some new. 

I felt comfortable in these stories, not because I recognized some of the characters but because the writing was familiar and easy to follow.

  I found myself wanting to go back to Roth's Carve the Mark series to refresh what I'd read there in order to place the short-stories appropriately.

At least one of the stories made me wish for a longer version, a full novel perhaps so that I could continue the journey.  One of the stories had appeared in an anthology collection that I had previously read, but I enjoyed the second time through, picking up on little details I hadn't seen the first time.

I enjoy when authors known for lengthy series work put out collections of short stories.  It's a different writing skill to be able to be precise and still draw the reader in as well.  I give this collection 4 stars, lacking the fifth only because I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment