Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Read: Enough Already (#11-2022)

Enough Already

Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I am Today by Valerie Bertinelli

The third biographical book by Valerie Bertinelli switches pace from her previous books to talk about life, loss and joy.  This book isn't about a particular journey or struggle, but about all the journeys and struggles that make life what it is. And about learning how to be (and love) yourself today, despite societies expectations.

I like the content of this book - it pushes away from judgement, about yourself and others, and moves in the direction of self-acceptance and finding what the real purpose of life is. This book focuses on feeling and acknowledging our emotions, and making sure that you find your joy. 

Through telling us about her own life, loss and love, Valerie acknowledges that everyone has struggles, though they may not be the same as hers. But we all need to let ourselves be who we are, and not downplay either ourselves or what we contribute to our own lives. Anyone like me who has struggled with self-acceptance can easily put themselves in Valerie's place trying to figure out just who she is, separate from the person society has expected her to be.

I found myself thinking about my whys, and my ability to make changes to help myself move forward in a more positive way. Taking lessons learned by Valerie in her book, and incorporating them into my own life and situations was helpful. Knowing you're not alone is always positive when it comes to mental struggles, and that's what this book provided above all else. 

(#11-2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment