Sunday, February 13, 2022

Read: The Deepest of Secrets (#13-2022)

The Deepest of Secrets

The Deepest of Secrets by Kelley Armstrong

(Book 7 in the Rockton series)

Rockton - mysterious, hidden town in the middle of the Yukon wilderness. Off-grid, off-radar and unfortunately off-track from its original mandate. Those living there are at the mercy of an unseen council who seem to enjoy playing God with the lives of their residents. The residents just want to survive their stay and continue their lives.

You know by now that I'm not going to say anything bad about this book - Kelley Armstrong is my favourite author and I've yet to be disappointed by anything she's written. The Rockton series was a slight departure from what I was used to but by this book, book 7 in the series, I've become as entrenched in Rockton as if I was living there myself. Which makes the ending of this book somewhat hard.  Is it the last Rockton novel?  I don't know, but it definitely could be. I haven't taken the time to look up what the internet is saying on that topic. 

The characters in this series are quirky and even relatable despite being very extreme in some cases. And there's always a little something that you didn't know or didn't expect - and not always in a negative way. The town itself becomes a character and invites you to look for the story. It's a well-crafted story that unravels at a perfect pace, laying the breadcrumbs that lead you to the conclusion. Even a person who's not a full-on mystery/thriller lover can appreciate this story (and the rest of the series) for the way the story unfolds and keeps the reader engaged through numerous turns that don't feel exactly like twists but do keep you wondering. 

I hope we haven't all left Rockton for good. 

(#13-2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment