Sunday, June 27, 2021

I Read: The Midnight Library

The Midnight LibraryThe Midnight Library by Matt Haig

I have this weird tendency to buy books with titles that include the word library, or book without knowing what they're really about. I would call an episode like that "meta" in TV, but I don't think it's like that with books.

In the case of The Midnight Library, I'm extremely glad I did. This is a great book. The description I read before purchasing didn't tell me anything that I didn't want to know. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how little I actually knew about the book as I started reading. 

It's fiction, but it makes you consider parts of your life that you may not have considered before and in ways that you might not have considered before. There's a philosophical aspect to it and a mental health aspect that most everyone can relate to, at least a little bit. 

I commend Matt Haid on this novel. He's tied together all the strings to create a novel that, even though I've read it and know how it ends, I would love to read again. I'm sure there are details that I've missed and little tidbits that somehow make the story even better. It's not a mystery, I'm not trying to figure anything out, but I just feel like there's so much more to it than I've gleaned from the first reading. 

He's also made me hope that there really is a midnight library somewhere waiting for me. Whether it's actually a library or not, I don't know, but I feel kind of like it is. 

#58-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment