Sunday, June 13, 2021

I Read: Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun
Midnight Sun
 by Stephenie Meyer
(Book 5 in the Twilight series)

Total transparency. I did not have big expectations for this book. I read it only because I had read the rest of the Twilight series, and I'm a bit of a completionist. I didn't even really enjoy the rest of the series that much. This one didn't fail me there. 

I had higher hopes because of the amount of time that had passed since the originals had been written. Perhaps Meyer's writing skills had improved. Maybe she'd realized that her characters are a bit like cardboard cutouts. Maybe, maybe, maybe. 

I also thought I might enjoy Edward's perspective more than Bella's because I have always thought Bella was a huge problem as a character. No woman should ever write such a flat and ridiculously basic female character. It just makes women look ridiculous. But Edward is really just as bad. In that, they are perfectly matched. The only character I felt could have actually been real was Jacob. And of course, that was ruined and he didn't appear in this book for more than a few pages. 

Anyway, I didn't really enjoy this book. And given that it's over 600 pages, it was quite a job to make it through it. But I did. And I can be satisfied in the knowledge that I've read it. I really shouldn't have, but somehow Twilight became a big piece of popular culture, so I felt the need to be a part of it. And therefore complete it. 

There'll be another entry coming in a few days that will seem extremely similar to this. I've started the final installment of the Fifty Shades series, which was initially created as Twilight fan fiction and Freed is from Christian's perspective, so there's not really a whole lot of differences. That entry will be shorter, I'm sure. I've probably said it all here already. 

#55-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment