Sunday, June 20, 2021

I Read: Freed

Freed
Freed
 by E.L. James
(last in the Fifty Shades series - third in the trilogy from Christian's perspective)

I can't lie. I'm so happy to be done with this series. I am aware, that there wasn't really a reason why I had to read this book, but I'm a completist - I wanted to have read the whole series. I put in the effort to read the others, despite being less than thrilled with the writing in all of them, so finishing this last book seems like an accomplishment of sorts. 

I still (STILL) have a lot of issues with the characters and characterization in this series. I literally read it thinking "You are such an asshole!" and "Why are you such a pushover!" Usually, I like the male lead over the female or vice versa, but in this case, I dislike them both.  Until the very last chapters, there is no emotional growth from Christian, and even then it's very slight. He just excuses himself from all blame because he blames everyone else for his "feelings" that he doesn't want to have to deal with. It's just frustrating to read. 

Beyond that, the writing in this book is no stronger than it was in the first book, which is also disappointing when that could make up for a lot of the issues. There are some really good plot ideas in there; they're just not displayed well. There really is no emphasis beyond the sex. Which is fine, if that's all you need from a novel. I guess for some people that's enough.

Anyway, between this and finishing the Twilight series, I'm just glad to be done. I feel a little bit like I just read the same book twice. Minus the sex from Freed in Midnight Sun, because it's Twilight. I'm craving something with at least a little bit of substance now. But I have no idea what that will be. 

#56-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment