Monday, March 15, 2021

I Read: Three Bedrooms, One Corpse

Three Bedrooms, One Corpse
Three Bedrooms, One Corpse
 by Charlaine Harris
(third in the Aurora Teagarden mysteries)

Continuing my journey through the Aurora Teagarden series. Charlaine Harris rarely disappoints. And while her characters are unique, and sometimes really strange in their perceptions or ideas, that's what makes them interesting. So while Aurora is full of weird foibles and headstrong in unusual ways I can get over it, because it's character-driven, not just strange. 

This is a fun series, and I've gotten over the need to mentally put Candace Cameron Bure into the story because she plays "Roe" in the Hallmark series based on these books. 

Since these ones at the beginning of the series were written in the 90s, I'm finding some language that wouldn't be acceptable today, but I also know they're written about a small town in Georgia where some of those impressions still live. I think it's important to acknowledge the strangeness, but I wouldn't even consider "cancelling" anything because of what was generally accepted when it was written. There's nothing horrible, just certain phrases that kind of make me think a little. I think it's important when you're reading something from years past to think about it. Even if it's just a fluffy cozy mystery novel. Think about what you're reading, and the context it's in. And how things have changed since then. 

#29-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment