Sunday, March 6, 2022

Read: Desperate Measures (#20-2022)

Desperate Measures

Desperate Measures by Katee Roberts

(1st in the Wicked Villains series)

A new twist in the land of epic and fairy tales.  A mix of modern and classic, with a lot of spice. This book takes us on a new road inspired by Aladdin and The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, focussing on the story of Jasmine, Jafar and Ali after the loss of her father. First in a series of books that focus on the naughty side of the heroines in conjunction with the villains of their story. 

I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely didn't expect it to get quite so steamy. I still had the block that this was going to be a Disney villain situation and there is no way that you can mistake these books for being Disney. 

I'm not a big reader of erotica or "adult" novels - I don't really need that level of detail in my love stories - but I do find it amusing that 50 Shades of Grey is still the standard that everyone thinks they need to aspire to.  The writing on this novel far exceeded 50 Shades and yet, I hadn't ever heard of it before. Again, I'll note that I don't tend to pay attention so these could be extremely popular within readers of this genre, but 50 Shades broke the genre boundary to be mainstream, so it's still surprising. 

Anyway, this is a series and I do intend to read more of the series now that I've started. It's an interesting way to twist a story that is already familiar. Book two is Learn my Lessons involving Megaera "Meg", Hades and Hercules.

(#20-2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment