Sunday, September 12, 2021

I Read: Essentialism

Essentialism
Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown

The title of this book would lead you to believe it's about minimalism. In fact, it's about figuring out how to do better, while doing less. Learning how to ask what is essential, and focussing on it, to the elimination of things that don't matter. 

Learning to take time to make sure you do the best job on the things that matter and don't live that FOMO kind of life, where you say yes to everything because it might be the important thing. 

I'm not really someone who has grand aspirations to climb the ladder and be the boss of everything. I want to do the best job that I can while doing what I can do, and spend the rest of my time doing things that I love. I actually like being the support person. I don't need the credit. I just like to be helpful and useful. 

I do however have a tendency to say "yes" to everything that comes my way, whether I can do it or not. Whether I have time or not. This is where learning to only take on the jobs that you can do well is crucial. Don't offer to do things that you won't be able to do. There's got to be someone else who has more time, or who is better at that thing than you are. It doesn't have to be your responsibility. It's much more effective to delegate or ask people with different skills to do things instead of spending your valuable time on them. 

Everyone's time is valuable. We should all spend it doing the things that we're best and more effective at doing. 

#78-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment