Tuesday, September 8, 2020

I Read: The Lost Book of the White

The Lost Book of the White

The Lost Book of the White by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu
Second in the Eldest Curses series

I have a weird connection to Cassandra Clare novels. They're definitely not written for someone of my age, but I still love them. There's something about the characters that makes mort of them either incredibly endearing or relatably dislikeable. And since I am entirely a reader who is fascinated by character-driven stories, that's perfect for me. 

The stories themselves, are not always the best they could be, but based on the character creation they don't seem completely far-fetched. Like I said, even the characters who I don't end up liking that much or I don't understand, I still enjoy the way they're written. Which is why I buy each book almost as soon as it's out. Sometimes even pre-ordered. I like getting books the day they're released. Occasionally I even manage to get them before the official release date, which is always a treat.


This series is based around Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood, who I will admit are probably my favourite pair from the original Mortal Instruments series. The best part about this series though, is that it tends to incorporate elements of all the series, and pulls in references and sometimes even actual events or characters from the other series as well. 

This story continues the travels and misadventures of Magnus and Alec while also giving us a healthy dose of their relationship along the way. There was significant involvement of the other Mortal Instruments characters this go-round, with Clary, Jace, Simon and Isabella along the ride. 

I enjoy the additions of other warlocks and learning the backstory of some of them and more about Magnus' history. In an entirely made-up world, that's actually situated within our own, it's fun to read about lives that could exist, just outside of our own perceptions. 

I wouldn't recommend anyone start reading in this world with this book. There are far too many references to past events and characters for it to make sense. I wouldn't even say that anyone could read The Eldest Curses series, without having read at least one of the other series.  But it's not a disappointment in the flow of the series, and the universe that Clare has created. I'll be waiting anxiously for the next volume in this series.  But first, we get Chain of Iron, book two in The Last Hours series.

#67-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment