Wednesday, September 23, 2020

I Read: Dear Martin

Dear Martin by Nic StoneDear Martin by Nic Stone

I don't really even know where to start talking about Dear Martin. It's poignant, especially currently, but it's not hard to read, which makes it easier to spend time thinking about. 

The fact that there's no shock to the events of this book, that I read it just taking it as if it was completely logical pains me. The world should not work the way it does in this book.  But I can't deny that it does. I may not be the target audience, nor do I relate personally to any of the events in the book, but it's very clear that this is based in truth. 

The premise of the book is a kid's searching for self in a world that keeps telling him who he is based on the colour of his skin. He writes letters in his journal to Dr. Martin Luther King trying to find the best way to maneuver through life by using what he thinks Martin would do. 

There are, of course, events that make him question his choices, his life, the whole world, and his devotion to Dr. King's teachings. Working his way through those struggles, and figuring out what the world may hold for him beyond the pigeon hole he seems to be pushed into is the real story. 

Tragic and dramatic, this is a great read for anyone. Young, old, black, white. It's emotional and troubling and I am so very glad that I read it. 

#69-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment