Wednesday, August 7, 2019

I read: Freedom

Freedom: The Ultimate Tribute 1963-2016

Mostly a coffee table book, with some great concert photos, this book gives a glimpse into the life of George Michael, starting from the beginning and going right to the final days.

George Michael was one of my first celebrity crushes.  Honestly, I don't even think I knew that's what it was at the time - but I knew that I loved Wham!  And the music wasn't the only thing.
Reading this and seeing the images, it brought me back to that love for Wham! and then George Michael's solo career and made me want to spend the rest of my day listening and reminiscing.  Sure, there was some not-so-nice stuff about George's choices in his life, but the music is still the key thing.  He did things his way, and it worked.  Personal life mistakes have no bearing on that.

This book did make me realize that a lot of my perceptions about music today are biased because we have so much information available to us.  I knew some of the stories (arrests, drunk driving) but because the internet and social media weren't there to shove it all in my face, it didn't affect the way that I could enjoy the music.  And I think I kind of prefer that.  A celebrity's personal life shouldn't affect the way we view their art.

Anyway, I love this book.  I'll likely revisit it on a regular basis, to remind myself how happy this music makes me. And I'll be listening to a lot more George Michael for the next few days - because it makes me happy - I need to remember that.  And I think the fact that his music can still bring people joy would make George happy - wherever he might be.


No comments:

Post a Comment