Monday, July 27, 2020

I Read: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Who doesn't love the story of Charlie, Mr. Wonka with Oompa-Loompa's and, of course, lots of CHOCOLATE! I'm not sure this was ever a real favourite of mine, but I definitely enjoy it every time I read it. Or watch it in one of its several incarnations on film. 

The fact that the downtrodden in fact do win at the end gets overlooked so often in this story in favour of the silliness of the story as a whole. Charlie is gifted the chocolate factory at the end - solely for the reason that he is still standing at the end of the tour, and that Mr. Wonka is old and must leave it to someone. 

Really, how could anyone turn down ownership of a chocolate factory!? I know I wouldn't. I know the continued story of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is still upcoming in the Roald Dahl set that I am reading, so I'll look forward to that in the not-distant future. 

#58-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment