Friday, June 26, 2020

I Read: All About Love

All About Love
 by bell hooks

This is another of the books from Trevor Noah's recommendations on Goodreads. I don't know what I was expecting from it, but what it is was not it. That's not a negative, I found it very interesting, but it was not what I was expecting. 

I feel like I picked up a lot of random nuggets that I can use throughout life. I'd never thought to consider love and why people can't express it, or feel like we don't have it. This read a lot like a journal I would have studied when I was taking psychology at University. A thorough examination of the origin of the feelings of love. Why we can't feel it, why we don't try. That kind of thing. 

I'd recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about their own emotional journey. There's a lot to digest in it. The text makes a lot of assumptions about the person choosing to read, but not in a way that turns the reader away. The points are relatable, no matter who you are or what you come from. 

If you're into self-study. Pick it up. (No stars on this one - I might drop that system to a simple note of whether I'd recommend it or not. Or who I'd recommend it to. Some books just don't fit into a rating scale.)

#44-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment