Monday, February 17, 2020

I read: Alone in the Wild

Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong
(Book 5 in the Rockton series)

So I know I'm really repetitive lately, but I've been reading Kelley Armstrong stuff, so I have to say it again. I will read anything that she writes. Her characters are so well-developed, and she writes in a way that even if it's not a genre I would normally gravitate to, I still want to know what she's going to do with it.  This is the fifth book in a series, so clearly I'm reading in order to get to the end, but most of the Rockton novels have been very easy to follow, even if you haven't read the rest of the series.


In Rockton, you never know what might happen or who you might meet. And that's part of the draw of this particular series. The characters are so unique and eccentric, and yet it's easy to believe that they actually exist in reality.  Whether or not there's an isolated "town" somewhere off-the-grid in the Yukon is irrelevant. The things that happen there could happen.

This is the magic of Kelley Armstrong. Situations are completely unbelievable until you just do. She doesn't spend a lot of time justifying anything or over-explaining how or why things happen. She just makes them seem like things that could happen, and so you believe them. It's clear she has confidence in the story she's telling and wants us, as her readers, to believe just as strongly.

I doubt I will ever give a Kelley Armstrong offering less than five stars and this is no exception. I don't know when the next book in the series is expected, but I, like many others, will be anxiously waiting for it.

#06-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment